Frequently Asked Questions

Click on highlighted words for quick website navigation

Program Questions:

Advanced Practice Nursing Program

Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Contact: Dr. Dolores Bilges

Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Contact: Dr. Dolores Bilges

Family Health Nurse Practitioner 
Contact: Dr. Dolores Bilges

Neonatal Nurse Practitioner


Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner


Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner

Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner


Nurse Midwifery


Nursing Organization and Leadership Programs:

Nursing Leadership

Nursing Education

Where can I find application and admission requirements, as well as descriptions of the various nursing programs you offer?
On our website, click on Students, Prospective Students and Academic Programs.

I have a bachelor’s degree in a field other than nursing and have no previous experience or education in the field of nursing. I would like to become a nurse. Do you have a program that would fulfill my needs?
Yes. The Accelerated Bachelor of Science Program (12-months) is designed for students who have minimally completed a bachelor’s degree, either at Stony Brook University or another comparable institution. The concentration nursing curriculum leads to a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Nursing.

I have completed two years of college and would like to receive my Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. Do you offer such a program?
Yes. The Basic Baccalaureate Program is designed for students who have completed 57 credits of general education that include the program prerequisite course work taken either at Stony Brook University or another comparable institution. The nursing curriculum, concentrated in the upper division years, leads to the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Nursing. It is a two year program.

I have an associate’s degree in nursing and would like to get my bachelor’s degree in nursing. Do you offer a program that would help me to achieve my goal?

Yes, there are two programs.  The Registered Nurse Baccalaureate Program is designed for students with either an associate degree in nursing or a diploma in nursing.  This program leads to a Bachelor of Science with a Major in Nursing.

The Registered Nurse Baccalaureate to Master's Program is designed for those with an associate degree in nursing and at least one year of nursing experience in their clinical area of interest.  This program leads to a Bachelor of Science with a Major in Nursing and offers a conditional admission to one of the Nurse Practitioner Programs, provided progression criteria are met.

I'm a registered nurse and have a Bachelor’s degree in a major other than nursing. Can I still apply for the graduate school nursing programs?
Yes. If you have a non-nursing bachelor’s degree, you will be required to submit a clinical practice portfolio to be evaluated for baccalaureate-level competencies. Please do not send in the portfolio before receiving conditional admission. Non-Nursing Bachelor's Degree/Clinical Portfolio

Application Questions:

Where can I find application deadlines?
On our website, click on Students, Prospective Students and Academic Programs.

How do I apply for your program?
Our application is only available on-line. On our hoomepage, click on Admissions and continue. The electronic application will be available each year in August until the application deadline. All of our applications are handled on-line through the Graduate Admissions and are also accessible through their website. If you encounter difficulties with your electronic application, please contact:

Applications for the PhD in Nursing program are only available on-line at the Stony Brook University, Graduate School. Go to 

Click online application. The electronic application will be available each year in August until the application deadline. 

Do I have to obtain and submit my unofficial transcripts from all of the colleges that I've attended with my application?
Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended must be uploaded with your application. If admitted, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended must be forwarded to the Graduate and Health Sciences Admission Office prior to registration.

Where do I send my official transcripts?
Please send official transcripts electronically to: 

I've attended/applied to Stony Brook University for another degree/program and included all of my unofficial transcripts and references then. Do I have to submit them again?
All applicants must submit unofficial transcripts and references every time they apply to a program.

Do I need to submit my references online?
The application processing center (Office of Student Services) has implemented a policy that references have to be submitted on-line.

My SOLAR account states my transcripts/references have not been received. What if I have forgotten my SOLAR pin and/or password required for application? Can you check this for me?
All application materials are sent to the HSC Office of Student Services, which maintains the applicant’s documents and updates the system. Please contact them at or at 631-444-2111.

What are the science prerequisite courses that are required for undergraduate applicants?
They are Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Chemistry for the Accelerated and Basic Baccalaureate Program. For the registered nurse Baccalaureate program the science prerequisites are Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II.

Are labs mandatory for sciences I plan to take?
Labs are mandatory for Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology I and II.

Do all the undergraduate program’s prerequisites need to be done before I can apply or start the program?
Completion of the three required prerequisite sciences is required upon the submission of your application.  Completion of all prerequisites (with a minimum grade of C or better) is required prior to the start of the program. 

Are there any exams to get into the undergraduate or graduate programs?
Exams are not required for School of Nursing programs.

May I take the pre-admission courses required for your undergraduate or graduate nursing programs at other colleges/universities? May I take classes online?
Your required pre-admission courses may be taken at any accredited college/university. Online classes are acceptable from accredited schools. Many of our pre-admission courses are available on OPEN SUNY
Check back regularly as we will continue to develop and post additional information to share with you online. 

Do you offer individual advisement sessions for undergraduate applicants?
No, we offer online information sessions. Click on Students, Prospective Students and Information Sessions.

What are the directions to the School of Nursing in Stony Brook?
Take the Long Island Expressway to exit 62. Get off at exit 62 and take Nicolls Road (Route 97 North) for about 9 miles. You will cross over Route 25 and Route 347 - continue north. Follow the signs to the University Medical Center. Please park in the hospital parking garage. Enter through the main hospital entrance (you are now on level 5). Walk past the main lobby elevators. Do NOT take the elevators. Walk around the elevators to your left, past the cafeterias to the escalators. Take the escalators down to level 2. The School of Nursing is located on level 2.

As an international student or a student with an International degree, do I need to take the TOEFL?
If your native or primary language is not English, you must take an English proficiency test. To be considered for admission, an applicant must present an acceptable score on the TOEFL test.
The minimum internet scores are a total of 90 with a minimum score of 22 on each section.
The Stony Brook University institutional code for the TOEFL is 2548.

For students who are US permanent residents with International degrees and for whom English is not their native or primary language, you may request proficiency test exemptions based on clinical licenses, licensing exams, or other criteria. This is done on a case by case basis and evidence must be provided to the Graduate and Health Science Admissions Office.

How will I know if my foreign courses will transfer?
International transcripts must be evaluated for transfer equivalency by a NACES accredited evaluator, such as The World Education Service(

I am an international student. Is there any additional documentation I must submit?
If appropriate, you will receive an email to check your Solar account and begin the application process under the heading "Visa and Immigration Services". Please follow all directions carefully. For more information regarding Visa and Immigration Services please visit:

Financial Questions:

How do I qualify for in-state tuition?
Please visit for information on establishing New York residency.

How much does the program cost?
For information, please visit:

Is there any financial aid available for your programs?
Financial aid for graduate and undergraduate nursing students is divided into three basic categories: grants, loans and employment opportunities. Some financial aid programs are administered by the University, others by federal and state agencies to which the student applies directly. Special purpose scholarships are also available to health professionals through private foundations and governmental agencies to which the student must apply directly. For more information contact the Office of Student Services, located in the Health Sciences Center, Level 2, Room 271, telephone number (631) 444-2111.

Is University housing available for the nursing students?
To apply for on campus housing after admission, visit: