Frequently Asked Questions

Click on highlighted words for quick website navigation

Program Questions:

I am interested in an Advanced Practice Nursing Program requiring a Clinical Placement and live in a state other than New York, how do State Authorization Regulations affect my application?
Due to the States Authorization Regulations for online education programs and the specific requirements that many states have enacted, the feasibility of obtaining clinical placements in some states has been affected. As the States Authorization Regulations laws are subject to frequent changes we are requesting that non-New York State resident applicants contact the graduate program assistants in their program of interest for updated information .

Advanced Practice Nursing Program

Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Contact: Dr. Dolores Bilges

Family Health Nurse Practitioner 
Contact: Anita DeFranco

Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
Contact: Linda Sacino

Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
Contact: Linda Sacino

Pediatrics Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Contact: Linda Sacino

Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Contact: Anita DeFranco

Nurse Midwifery
Contact: Linda Sacino

Where can I find application and admission requirements, as well as descriptions of the various nursing programs you offer?
On our website, click on Students, Prospective Students and Academic Programs.

I have a bachelor’s degree in a field other than nursing and have no previous experience or education in the field of nursing. I would like to become a nurse. Do you have a program that would fulfill my needs?
Yes. The Accelerated Bachelor of Science Program (12-months) is designed for students who have minimally completed a bachelor’s degree, either at Stony Brook University or another comparable institution. The concentration nursing curriculum leads to a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Nursing.

I have completed two years of college and would like to receive my Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. Do you offer such a program?
Yes. The Basic Baccalaureate Program is designed for students who have completed 57 credits of general education that include the program prerequisite course work taken either at Stony Brook University or another comparable institution. The nursing curriculum, concentrated in the upper division years, leads to the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Nursing. It is a two year program.

I have an associate’s degree in nursing and would like to get my bachelor’s degree in nursing. Do you offer a program that would help me to achieve my goal?
Yes. The Registered Nurse Baccalaureate and Registered Nurse Baccalaureate to Master’s Programs are designed for students with either an associate degree or diploma in nursing and leads to a a Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree, respectively.

I'm a registered nurse and have a Bachelor’s degree in a major other than nursing. Can I still apply for the graduate school nursing programs?
Yes. If you have a non-nursing bachelor’s degree, you will be required to submit a clinical practice portfolio to be evaluated for baccalaureate-level competencies. As there is a $300 fee to review portfolios, do not send in the portfolio before receiving conditional admission.

Application Questions:

Where can I find application deadlines?
On our website, click on Students, Prospective Students and Academic Programs.

How do I apply for your program?
Our application is only available on-line. On our website, click on APPLY NOW and continue. The electronic application will be available each year in August until the application deadline. All of our applications are handled on-line through the Office of Student Services and are also accessible through their website. If you encounter difficulties with your electronic application, please contact:

Applications for the PhD in Nursing program are only available on-line at the Stony Brook University, Graduate School. Go to 

Click online application. The electronic application will be available each year in August until the application deadline. 

Office of Student Services
Health Sciences Center
Stony Brook University
Level 2, Room 271
Stony Brook, New York 11794-8276

Phone: (631) 444-2111
Fax: (631) 444-6035

Do I have to obtain and submit my unofficial transcripts from all of the colleges that I've attended with my application?
Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended must be uploaded with your application. If admitted, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended must be forwarded to the Office of Student Services as soon as possible.

Where do I send my official transcripts?
Please send them to:
Office of Student Services
Health Sciences Center
Stony Brook University
Level 2, Room 271
Stony Brook, New York 11794-8276

I've attended/applied to Stony Brook University for another degree/program and included all of my unofficial transcripts and references then. Do I have to submit them again?
All applicants must submit unofficial transcripts and references every time s/he applies to a program.

Do I need to submit my references online?
The application processing center (Office of Student Services) has implemented a policy that references have to be submitted on-line.

My SOLAR account states my transcripts/references have not been received. What if I have forgotten my SOLAR pin and/or password required for application? Can you check this for me?
All application materials are sent to the HSC Office of Student Services, which maintains the applicant’s documents and updates the system. Please contact them at or at 631-444-2111.

What are the four science prerequisite courses that are required for all undergraduate applicants?
They are Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Chemistry.

Are labs mandatory for sciences I plan to take?
Labs are mandatory for Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology I and II.

Do all the undergraduate program’s prerequisites need to be done before I can apply or start the program?
Completion of the three required prerequisite sciences is required upon the submission of your application.  Completion of all prerequisites (with a minimum grade of C or better) is required prior to the start of the program. 

Are there any exams to get into the undergraduate or graduate programs?
The Graduate Record Examination(GRE) general test is required for applicants to the PhD in nursing program. Exams are not required for other School of Nursing programs.

May I take the prerequisite courses required for your undergraduate or graduate nursing programs at other colleges/universities? May I take classes online?
Your required prerequisite courses may be taken at any accredited college/university. Online classes are acceptable from accredited schools. Many of our prerequisite courses are available on OPEN SUNY 
Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Microbiology laboratories must be taken onsite at an accredited college/university. 

Do you offer individual advisement sessions for undergraduate applicants?
No, we offer monthly group information sessions at the School of Nursing at Stony Brook University. The dates for these sessions are posted on our website, click on Students, Prospective Students and Information Sessions.

What are the directions to the School of Nursing in Stony Brook?
Take the Long Island Expressway to exit 62. Get off at exit 62 and take Nicolls Road (Route 97 North) for about 9 miles. You will cross over Route 25 and Route 347 - continue north. Follow the signs to the University Medical Center. Please park in the hospital parking garage. Enter through the main hospital entrance (you are now on level 5). Walk past the main lobby elevators. Do NOT take the elevators. Walk around the elevators to your left, past the cafeterias to the escalators. Take the escalators down to level 2. The School of Nursing is located on level 2.

As an international student, do I need to take the TOEFL?
If your native or primary language is not English, you must take an English proficiency test. To be considered for admission, an applicant must present an acceptable score on the TOEFL test.
The minimum internet scores are a total of 90 with a minimum score of 22 on each section.
The Stony Brook University institutional code for the TOEFL is 2548.

How will I know if my foreign courses will transfer?
International transcripts must be evaluated for transfer equivalency by a NACES accredited evaluator, such as The World Education Service(

I am an international student. Is there any additional documentation I must submit?
If appropriate, you will receive an email to check your Solar account and begin the application process under the heading "Visa and Immigration Services". Please follow all directions carefully. For more information regarding Visa and Immigration Services please visit:

Financial Questions:

How do I qualify for in-state tuition?
Please visit for information on establishing New York residency.

How much does the program cost?
For information, please visit:

Is there any financial aid available for your programs?
Financial aid for graduate and undergraduate nursing students is divided into three basic categories: grants, loans and employment opportunities. Some financial aid programs are administered by the University, others by federal and state agencies to which the student applies directly. Special purpose scholarships are also available to health professionals through private foundations and governmental agencies to which the student must apply directly. For more information contact the Office of Student Services, located in the Health Sciences Center, Level 2, Room 271, telephone number (631) 444-2111.

Is University housing available for the nursing students?
To apply for on campus housing after admission, visit: